Site design: www.bgd-agency.co.uk
Home > About Me >
My name is Sarah Harmer and I am a ‘Specialist Speech and
Language Therapist’ (SLT) working in Thames Ditton, Surrey, and
the surrounding area.
I have worked as a SLT for over 23 years, predominantly with
individuals with ‘special needs’, including mild to severe learning
difficulties, physical difficulties and autistic spectrum disorder. I have
worked for the NHS and Education Authorities in Community Clinics,
Children Development Centres, Day Centres, Mainstream and Special
Schools/Units. I have worked independently in England and abroad in
Australia and Barbados.
I enjoy working with children of all ages from pre-school to young
adults. I am experienced in the assessment, diagnosis and treatment
of difficulties in the following areas:
• Speech sounds. i.e. - The production (articulation) and use
(phonology) of sounds.
• Early language skills, like attention, listening and play.
• Language comprehension i.e. - The ability to understand language.
• Expressive language. i.e. - The content & structure of language used.
• Social skills, like eye contact, turn taking and facial expression.
• ‘Functional’ communication, like initiating interaction,
appropriate use of language and ‘Communication Passports.’
I have a specific interest in working with children with more complex
communication needs, who benefit from using alternative or
supplementary communication (AAC).
I am experienced in promoting the use of ‘Makaton’ signs and symbols
and the ‘Picture Exchange Communication System’ (PECS), and also in
using informal systems like objects and photographs.